We are seeking a Senior Scientific Adviser for a 2-year-regular position (renewable) within the Director General Unit at the International Vaccine Institute.
The incumbent is responsible for advising the Director General on strategic scientific directions for the institute and the Unit Heads and other scientists on key technical and epidemiological aspects of projects. The incumbent will also play a key role in augmenting domestic and global research collaborations. He/she is responsible for developing new programs/projects opportunities, serving as lead/co-investigator, and mentoring IVI staff members ensure successful mission achievement of IVI. This position will ensure extensive collaboration and consistent communication with internal and external partners under of the highest scientific, operational and ethical standards.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
1. Advise DG for developing, communicating, executing, and sustaining strategic scientific initiatives
- Act as an expert resource across IVI to increase broad cohesion for strategic scientific plans.
- Support DG and IVI Units with strategic scientific thinking, internally and externally, both institutionally and portfolio/project-related.
- Establish and review key strategic research priorities and support the DG to translate said priorities into a comprehensive institutional plan.
- Partner with institutional leadership, special committees, and consultants to support execution of initiatives.
2. Develop, manage, support vaccine-related research projects
- Provide expert scientific guidance on study design, project planning, and project implementation
- Develop compelling and insightful grant proposals which fulfill donor’s needs and IVI’s objectives.
- Serve as co-investigator on research grants and support IVI scientists with the initiation and management of large-scale projects while providing oversight/support for implementation of field and vaccine-related studies and collaborating with other functional groups.
- Support IVI scientists with monitoring, evaluation, execution, performance and adherence to protocol of studies to ensure that all epidemiological/health-economic/biostatistics & data management/vaccine-related research activities are ethical and in compliance with local and international regulation and reported trail data are accurate and reliable.
- Communicate results to the scientific community through conferences/published manuscripts.
3. Develop agenda for new and current funding
- Identify and proactively seek new programs/projects opportunities in line with IVI mission and vision.
- Prepare and/or support grant submission, budgets and contracts by collaboration with program directors, Department and Unit Heads and program/project teams.
4. Build networks with external scientist and stakeholders
- Engage with peers and external scientist to develop study questions, validate models and present study results.
- Manage external network members.
- Foster collaboration between IVI and WHO national and regional offices, NGO’s and national Ministries and build partnership with public health institutions present in the program country
- Act as External Representative of IVI (e.g., Government, donors, policy makers, collaborators) as requested.
5. Build networks with external scientist and stakeholders
- Build and develop IVI scientific talent through workshops, manuscript-writing support and data analyses.
- Liaise with other functional heads/project leads to form strong internal groups for joint analyses of data stemming from IVI’s research programs.
- Support conduct of IVI vaccinology course and other didactic activities.
Job Requirements and Qualifications
1. Education Requirements
2. Related Field Work Experience
- 20+ years
3. Technical and Professional Skills / Knowledge
- Expert knowledge in epidemiology/clinical study design, statistical analyses/biostatistics, vaccine research, writing and publishing scientific manuscript and scientific grant writing
- On-site developing countries expertise
- Cultural sensitivity
- Communication and presentation skills
- A strong analytical ability and high professional standards in designing, conducting, and evaluating research in developing countries
4. Language Proficiency
- Fluency in spoken and written English