We are seeking a Head of Policy & Economics Research Department for a 2-year-regular position (renewable) within the Epidemiology, Public Health, Impact Unit at the International Vaccine Institute.
This job is responsible for providing technical oversight and guidance to various teams working on policy and economic research and social science research in developing countries as well as to ensure successful translation of evidence generated by IVI and other partners into global policies. This is achieved with extensive collaboration and consistent communication with internal and external partners (WHO, Gavi, Ministries, Universities) under of the highest scientific, operational and ethical standards It is also responsible for the development of new activities or research opportunity for supporting IVI mission.
Main Roles & Responsibilities:
- Develop and manage health policy research and field socio-economic studies
- Initiate, implement, and manage field economic and social studies, policy studies and other research activities
- Oversee, monitor and evaluate the execution, performance and adherence to protocol of studies to ensure that all research activities are ethical and in compliance with local and international regulation and reported data are accurate and reliable.
- Ensure that studies are conducted within budget and financial guidelines of donor, IVI, national and international policies, and regulatory codes.
- Communicate results to the scientific community via published papers.
- Provide high quality technical support to global partners such as WHO and Gavi to support IVI mission
- Conceptualise, develop, implement and disseminate innovative health economic tools of global relevance to support vaccine delivery decisions
- Advice global, regional and country partners on strategy, policy and financing matters of vaccines based on epidemiology and health economic evidence.
- Develop Agenda for new and current funding
- Identify and proactively seek for new programs/projects opportunities in line with IVI mission and vision as well as provide support and advice on proposals and projects driven by other functional area within IVI.
- Prepare and/or support grant submission, budgets and contracts by collaboration with program directors and program/project teams.
- Develop and manage internal/external collaborations
- Develop and maintain alliances helpful for the successful implementation of various projects.
- Ensure coordination with donors, partners, contractors, etc.
- Manage Policy and Economics Research Department
- Build and develop sustainable talent pipeline and development including attracting and retaining especially highly talented personnel.
- Manage, motivate and evaluate individual performance for their goal achievement.
- Provide advice, coaching and training to staff.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
- Education Requirements
- MD or PhD or equivalent (Health Economics / Public Health / social science / vaccinology)
- Related Field Work Experience
- 13+ years (5+ years of people management experience)
- Technical and Professional Skills / Knowledge
- Knowledge of health economics, epidemiology, public health
- Financing, modeling and statistical experience are advantages
- Medical/Epidemiology background is essential
- Language Proficiency
- Fluency in English