We are seeking a Deputy Director General, CARE for a 3-year-regular position (renewable) to work within the Clinical, Assessment, Regulatory, Evaluation unit at the International Vaccine Institute in Seoul, Korea. (Duty station : Seoul, Korea)
This job is responsible for overseeing the overall development, scientific excellence, ethics, and operations of clinical research at IVI, securing funding and maintain collaborative relationships internally and externally (Donors and collaborators) for effective translational research in order for IVI to deliver on its mission.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
1. Manage the overall CARE strategy of the organization in line with the strategic plan
- Lead the development of a clinical vaccine development agenda/strategy that will be the basis for current and future funding efforts
- Oversee studies run by departments to ensure that their milestones and objectives are accomplished in a timely and successful manner (cost effectiveness, ethical standards)
- Provide clinical trials/operations support for regulated research in other units at IVI through matrix organization
- Provide regulatory support related to clinical activities
i.Lead or support regulatory activities for the assigned product portfolio
ii.Lead or support regulatory submissions for: New Drug/Biological Applications protocols, medical reports, efficacy and safety summaries for clinical trials as per international standards,
SmPC, Package inserts, Patient information leaflet and Technical reports including submission to NRA and WHO for Prequalification
2. Develop agenda for new and current funding
- Collaborate with LT, PL’s, PM as well as external collaborators for developing strategy to secure program funding and diversity of IVI’s portfolio through new funding opportunities
- Take responsibility for compelling, insightful and successful grant proposals that fulfill donor’s needs and IVI’s objectives to ensure sustainable funding of the CARE Unit
3. Commitment as leadership member in IVI
- Contribute in developing goals & strategies for IVI and support director general in bringing about change in IVI as a member of leadership team, while communicating with the board and scientific advisory group regarding scientific issues as directed by director general.
- Act as External Representative of IVI (e.g., Government, donors, policy makers, collaborators)
4. Manage & Lead CARE Unit
- Build and develop sustainable talent pipeline and development including attracting and retaining especially highly talented personnel.
- Manage, motivate and evaluate individual performance of unit staffs for their goal achievement
- Ensure sufficient grant funding is raised to ensure functionality of clinical team and beyond.
- Ensure adequate communication of clinical studies incl. peer-reviewed articles, donor reports, presentations at meetings/conferences.
5. Other responsibilities as assigned
Job Requirements and Qualifications
1. Education Requirements
2. Related Field Work Experience
- 15+ years (7+ years of people management experience)
3. Technical and Professional Skills / Knowledge
- Ability to manage complex studies with multiple international partners.
- Strong knowledge of clinical development and trial implementation preferably with vaccines and in a developing country setting
- Basic knowledge of epidemiology, statistics, on-site developing countries expertise, cultural sensitivity, communication and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of regulatory environment (national and WHO standards).
- Excellent people and management skills.
- Track record of success in generating funds from public or private sector donors preferred.
4. Language Proficiency
- Fluency in English